March 8, 2013

Babies First Flu

Someone gave me the FLU! 
INFLUENZA. 
Which I never thought would have been such a big deal, but man does it suck!  
We got home late Sunday night after a horrendous 11 hours stuck in the car from California back home to Utah and I felt fine Sunday night into Monday. Monday night, however, was a different story. I woke up in the middle of the night with a 100 degree temperature and mad cold sweats. I used a cold compress on my head and cover baby bump to bring his temp. down too. I was so cold and only slept on and off for the rest of the night. My temp went down under 100 so we decided it was just a head cold and no need to see the doctor if my temperature was dropping.  
My whole body was still aching from the fever and I couldn't imagine going into work, so I called out for Tuesday and Wednesday too just to play it safe. Good thing I played it safe-- because Wednesday afternoon my temp was back up to 100 and I decided that after 2 days of whatever this was that I should see a doctor. 

My OB requested I see the onsite doctor at Emergency Labor & Delivery, who said I was dehydrated and have influenza.
"That's just the flu?" I asked
"Well, not JUST 'the flu.'" 
Fever, Cold Sweats, All-over Body Aches, Headaches, Runny & Stuffy Nose, Non-stop tears, Wet Coughs... and nothing helps! 

Doctor says it just has to run it's course-- which is about 7 days. 
 Baby was hooked up to fetal monitoring to keep an eye on his heart rate.
He was a little high, but only because the fever had raised both out heartbeats.
My main concern was and is our little man, so hearing his heartbeat was reassuring.  
Leaving the ER after 3 hours! 

Not JUST 'the flu' is right! 
I've been basically bed-ridden since Tuesday and the doctor says I should stay home through the weekend. My fever has pretty much dropped, the head congestion is constant, but at least the aches are gone with the fever. My eyes are welled half shut and I'm just leaking tears all day long, so I write this from my sick bed-- bored out of my mind. One can only watch so may movies on Netflix and sleep so many hours of the day. 

Praying we're better soon! 

No comments: