August 15, 2013

The best three years!

Yesterday was mine and Jordan's three year wedding anniversary
I guess I don't really need to say, "wedding anniversary" since we're not one of those overly-in-love-passionate-about-everything-totally-nerdy couples who celebrate EVERYTHING... 
-------------------------------------------
the day they met 
[I saw him in church, giving his first Talk since returning home from his mission and thought he was a complete dork with a bad haircut], 
the day they officially met 
[some FHE event where we were making collages of our New Years Resolutions], 
their first date 
["Guys & Dolls" at the Temecula theatre with Indian food for dinner-- did I mention no kiss at the end of the night!?], 
their first kiss 
[F I N A L L Y ! -- 7 days later outside of Laura Easler's sisters house], 
the first time meeting each others family 
[I was in a Bible Study class with his mom and she gave me an a portable alarm clock for my birthday so I could have her son home at a 'reasonable hour,' and he met my family the first time while sporting a pedophilic mustache and spouting racist remarks over a game of "Loaded Questions"],
  when they were official 
[who the heck knows, I guess after I traveled 10 hours by car with him and his family to attend his great grandmas funeral in February, you'd have to call that pretty official, right?], 
their first pet 
[Albert, the broken-winged hummingbird], 
their first fight 
[wait, are there really people who celebrate e v e r y t h i n g ? !]
their first weekend away 
[camping with friends in the middle of nowhere], 
their engagement 
[April 19, 2010 at the lake. He had me so confused; it was too early for a proposal, but he was going for it anyway!], 

their wedding 
[well, we all know the answer to that one, now don't we? ...please see the topic of this post if you haven't figured it out yet], 
-----------------------------------------
but we're not those kinds of people... thank heavens! 
That would be exhausting! 

We are simple people. 
People who celebrate the important things in life.
The real things in life. 

And so we do celebrate our anniversary each year. Big or small; a celebration is an important reminder of the love we have, of the eternal connection we made in front of family, friends and most importantly God, that day three years ago. We swore our lives to each other, our undying love. We promised for better or worse. Through hard times and good. Promised to kiss and make up, never to let things fester long enough to create resentment, never to use the word, 'hate.' To love, honor and cherish one another and the children that make us a family. 

When I think back on that day, a sunny day in fall, I have fond memories. No matter how much I make fun of our Sam's Club cake with fake flowers and the hard metal chairs clinking on the basketball painted floor of the gym, my heart is filled with a love so strong, I never thought possible.
I love this man.
I think back on the glances we gave from across the room, as guests tore us from each other to dance, give well wishes and party the evening away. I am reminded of the first time I knew Jordan was the one... we shared a similar moment months earlier; a glance across the room where our eyes met and locked in a stare at the other. He was gorgeous in his crisp black suit, at a Missionary Reunion, speaking with an old friend, as an older gentleman who knew Jordan well spoke with me about how great he was. As the old man talked Jordan up, I looked across the room, hoping to shoot him a look that said, "Save me!" and took notice of his confident and commanding stature. I looked him up and down and realized I was head over heels in love with this man across the room. I knew he was perfect for me... so later that year when he got down in the sand on one knee and asked me to marry him, I knew I would be the luckiest woman ever, to call myself his WIFE!



*****************
We entered the temple that day as individuals and walked out, hand in hand, an eternal couple. A small family unit that can be together forever and ever. 


Thank you for three amazing years babe. 
Growing old with you is going to be fun! 
xoxoxo

No comments: