July 25, 2012

"Dad, I bet if you ask the neighbors they'll let you mow their lawn!"

It's been a busy summer-- lots happening.
My dad hasn't been out to Utah since we moved here-- TWO YEARS AGO!, so my parents came to visit the week before 4th of July. The thing is my dad apparently doesn't know how to vacation. Vacation being a  verb in this scenario. He can't r-e-l-a-x, he always has to be doing something... and reading does not count as "something" in his book. ["in his book," get the play on words, hmm? Ha!] I'm convinced it's because he's Mexican and can't actually read books in English, but he says it's because books are BOOOOOOORING! Okay, am I talking to a 3rd grader?
Well, Jordan and I wound up seeing more of Utah in 4 days than we have in 2 years! I suppose now we're cultured.

Day One: We went to church in the morning. When I say "we" I mean Jordan and I went to sacrament while my parents walked down to Juice n' Java to get their morning coffee and searched for garage sales... on a Sunday... in Utah... Provo, Utah.
Then we hiked to Timpanogos Caves [Like 3.5 miles. No joke]


[Admiring Jordan's utility pack aka 'fanny pack']



Day Two: We kayaked the Provo River with High Country Adventure. We had a Groupon, so it was BOGO! Yay!! Jord and I did singles, but my mom said she's die if she had to do it alone, so my parents did a double. We all tricked my mom into thinking that the person in back does all the work, so she needed to be in front [in plain sight of my dad so he could yell at her when she was lounging and not helping row], none of us had any evidence to back this up, but she fell for it! Really, though, I think back has a lot more work to do! 

[My mom kept asking about the "rapids" it's like a Class II river 
in the roughest spots, ha!]




 [Jordan- always showin' off!]

 [You can see how hard my dad is working in the back! ;) ]


I wish we would have known you could stop on the river for a picnic; we just ended up taking my parents to my work, since my dad has never been to my restaurant. YUM! 

That night we took the old folks laser tagging! Unfortunately no pictures. What was I thinking not bringing the camera!? Someone let me choose the music--so of course I chose the Jurassic Park theme music... well, I'm never allowed to pick laser tag music again. It's boring without the right selection to get you pumped up! 

Day Three: We thought we'd take a nice hike to Bridal Veil Falls and then maybe have some lunch up in Heber... well this day turned out to be the L-O-N-G-E-S-T day evvvvvvvver! We started early, got some breakfast at the new diner in town [the waitress spilled three glasses of water on Jordan's lap!], mini-hiked to the bottom of Bridal Veil Falls [where my parents wanted to spend all day looking around at everything, but we convinced them it was just more of the same old nature-y crap we've already seen the last two days! *sigh, 'old people!'] then headed to Heber to show my dad the street walking signs [no pictures, bummer.]

 [My parents wanted to walk all over Heber and look at Antique Shoppes. *sigh- 'old people,' so Jordan and I lounged in the park until it was time for Dairy Keen.]

[What a babe!]

Theeeennnnnnn... my mom thought it would be cool to go to Olympic Park in Park City. 

 [Just cover the green wall with your hand and it looks like he's really there!] 

[About to go zip-lining!]


[We could tell when they were coming down because they were 
both screaming like little girls! Especially my dad.]

We finally ended the day with a nice dip in Ryans pool... 




...and I had the best steak of my life at GoodWood that night for dinner! Mmmm! Seriously, mouth watering just thinking about it! 

[My dad finally got some relaxation time!]
"No coffee, no beer, no tv? How do these kids live?"


We did so much more inbetween, but these are the highlights. My mom and dad left the next morning to get to Nebraska in time to meet their friends Julie and Jeff for dinner and fireworks. Jordan and I rented a movie, grabbed some Taco Bell, shut the blinds and had a nice 4th of July IN! 



No comments: