April 5, 2012

Today-- the library, Tomorrow-- the world!

So, I've decided on what book to read for Book Club and I'm pretty excited because I haven't read it yet either. Wintergirls is a YA novel by Laurie Halse Anderson who wrote Speak; which is a pretty good book I read in my YA Lit class, but a pretty terrible movie staring non-other than thee terrible Kristen Stewart. Blegh. It's a bad adaptation in after-school special format. Not good.

I dragged myself out of bed early yesterday and went to the library, which as it turns out is apparently Fort Knox! It's huge. I walked in the front door because... well isn't that the door you'd use? And I was so lost! There were huge staircases to either side of me, art of dead presidents on the walls, very few people in sight, one open door and a map on the wall. I am sorry but I have never lived in a town that had a library so large it needed its own map with legends and keys. I wandered around for a minute, but couldn't be late to work, so against my usual will, I thought I'd ask for help. I went to the open office door where an old lady did not look happy to greet me. After asking her where I could get a library card [just saying "Um.. excuse me, miss-- where might I get a library card?" made me feel like a little elementary kid all over again.] she answered seemingly very annoyed...

"Go out this door, turn right, go past the first set of stairs, turn left, go straight down the long corridor and downstairs-- to - the - li -bra-ry." 

This last part she said with an all knowing smirk on her face as though I should know that I would obtain a library card from the library. Well, duh. But where the heck is the library! I mean, I thought I was in it. Seemed simple enough. I parked in the lot in front of the big building that looks like an old library with the concrete sign out front reading "Provo City Library." I had no idea there'd be wings in this great building, I'm convinced if I had wandered around unsupervised long enough I might have stumbled upon Narnia!  
When I got to the end of the corridor there were staircases on either side leading in different directions. I felt left was the safest and sure enough I found the library! So I am now a proud owner of a Provo City Resident Library card!

Boo-ya! In your face mean old librarian wanna-be lady! 

Then tonight when I got home from work Jordan and I took our bikes out for a ride around the block to drop off the books to the girls who needed copies. I carried them all in my bike basket. It was cute. We're so hip.

No comments: