April 28, 2012

"Faaaaashion Show!"

I frequent The DI.
People make fun of me for calling it "'The' DI" because apparently it's just "DI" [for Deseret Industries], but I think saying; "Oh, not up to much, just going to DI later today" sounds grammatically incorrect, so THE it is!
For those of you who are not a part of the Mormon Cheapster Culture; The DI is a church-run thrift store. Like THE Salvation Army, if you will.
...and it is uhhhhh-mazing! Well, most the time anyway-- it's best to go on a restock day, which I'm told is Saturday [I'm randomly told this by a work friend, so I cannot attest to his accountability on the correctness of floor stock days at The DI.] Otherwise the one in Provo can be picked through by all the college students looking for a deal.
I however, am not shopping for a deal [as much as I may love one], I am shopping for awesome old lady fashion to pair with something new and funky in which to design an awesome urban retro outfit. 

I tell Jordan all the time that I want to start an internet show for the DI hipster wanna-be's. I see women all the time perusing the ladies racks; they'll pick something up, look it over briefly and put it back. I feel that a lot of girls out here have that 'just missed the mark' look, which is usually due to a lack of accessorizing or simply confidence. The majority of the time when I see women put something back on the rack, it's because they don't have the confidence to wear it. To be bold and rock it. And really that's all fashion is-- the lack of self consciousness and for one to dare to be bold. I mean, seriously, look at half the "couture" crap that goes down the runways in Paris and New York. When would any woman realistically wear half that stuff? And where?

I typically check The local DI once a week, just pop in on my day off while I'm out and about running errands. While on my most recent trip I hit the jackpot!! And below are some pictures of my great grabs!

Super cute fuscia/lavender crocheted light summer v-neck sweater. 
Great over a tank during summer or to take to the pool as a quick cover up. 
Like $5, I think.

Love these belts! $2 each. 

Chunky heel Mary Janes, barely even worn! Only $10! 

 
Can't see all the details in my sex-pot picture here [not intentional], but this high neck country girl top is great with a high-waisted skirt and booties. 
Seriously THREE DOLLARS!

Jean Billabong shorts: like 5 bucks, Ladybug flutter sleeve blouse-- $3!
Purple checkered Esprit pencil skirt [that former owner added LACE (loooove it!) to]: $4.

Semi-formalish past the knee black skirt: I think like 6 bucks. 
The shirt and belt are both from this DI trip too! 

I got a couple of other tops and two dresses too, but Jordan was getting tired of being my photographer! Can you believe all this great stuff for so cheap!? There've even been times that I've gotten a few items with the original price tag still attached! Crazy, right? I love The DI because they get a lot of gently used items without the consignment store price. Also, digging through the racks is not nearly as bad as most mom and pop thrift stores.

While I was out I didn't forget about my would-be photographer at home...
... because really, he never complains when I buy so many clothes [and shoes after shoes after shoes!] and then he even takes my blog photos for me to!! What a guy!


1 comment:

jiggajordan said...

What a guy!
ps. we need a full family set of the lion zebra shirt for a family pictures.