May 13, 2012

Everything and Anything... for the Cure!!

Race for the Cure!
Walk for the Cure! 
Blog for the Cure!

Yesterday was the Race for the Cure in Salt Lake, so Jordan and I joined and made a weekend out of it! My wonderful hubby did all the planning and booked us a room at Little America in Downtown Salt Lake, right near the Race's start. We were just a few blocks away, so in the morning all we had to do was roll out of bed and stroll on over.
I took a half day at work on Friday so Jordan and I could finally have a real weekend together. [This almost never happens!] We headed out to Salt Lake early Friday evening and had dinner an Italian place that had rave reviews, but turned out to be much less than satisfactory. [Sorry, babe.] It was a small 'Mom & Pop' place where the servers wore whatever was fashionable [one girl work shorts, a tank top with vest over it-- never a fashionable idea and a fedora to top it off... ugh, do you yet know of my utter hatred for fedoras? They work for no one.] and were just 'too coo for school'... a little too cool for my liking! We were seated outside and then ignored for about 20 minutes until our waitress was finally told we were waiting. I guess we weren't cool enough to be acknowledged by them. None of the appetizers looked too appetizing so we just went with salads and pasta for dinner. Jordans house salad looked great and my caesar salad was really good. I only ordered chicken alfredo, so I can't have expected something amazing, but as far as alfredo goes, it was just regular good. I felt bad because Jordan wanted it to be a nice meal, which it was-- nice, just nothing to brag about. We skipped dessert and walked over to City Creek, a new outdoor mall. It is huge and fabulous! Biggest H&M I've ever seen! Jordan tried on some suits, but nothing stuck his fancy, so we left empty handed.
The hotel was really nice. It is so good to just have a night away from home-- even if it is just SLC. We had the luxury of hot tubbin' it and cable tv! Ha Ha! We don't even have a tv at home, so it was nice to just relax after dinner and watch a little "Monster-In-Law," [which I forced upon Jord!]

We had to get up pretty early for the Race, which started at 8:30 [Yuck!] and even earlier if we wanted to score any FREE SWAG and enjoy the festivities!

  My Grandma had Breast Cancer, which is why my family started walking.

This was Jordan's first Race and it was just the two of us since our friends Ryan and Amber were out of town. I hope one day Jordan and I will be able to do it with my family because it is more fun with a larger group, especially a rambunctious group like my family! I was a little emotional at the start of the race when they were playing "I'm Gonna Love You Through It" and "I Run for Life." Cancer is so scary. It has affected my family in a strong way; whether our pennies and dimes will ever add up to find a cure, we can only hope. Gathering together with SURVIVORS and others who have been affected by it helps us feel bonded to others in love.

Jordan collecting all his free stuff!

"We gots our hurr' did!" 

...and our faces painted. 
[Jordan was going to get a full dragon across his face blowing fire, but he chickened out. I don't know why?] 

"On your mark, get set... GO!"

We were about halfway through [5k] when this little girl lapped us like crazy! She was about 4 and she came jogging along side her parents, looking like she was barely hanging on still.. so cute! You know when you're so done running and your head and upper body is just way ahead of your feet-- [ha!] that was her! But she kept at it and jogged all the way out of our sight!
Cancer affects everyone, no matter what age, race or gender-- it does not discriminate. One of the things I love about the race is seeing so many different people celebrating life or running in memory of loved ones lost. 

Woo hoo! Made it! 

Can you guess who's time is who's? 
I pushed Jordan out of the way at the last second so I could stumble in first! He says that since he had to carry the backpack the whole time that adds a ten minute headstart to his his time! 
Puh-leeze!

...and afterwards-- Doughnuts for the Cure! 


No comments: