May 22, 2012

Lowering Your Expectations!

In church on Sunday we talked about "lowering your expectations," okay-- so the chapter was really on the scriptures; but the great thing about church is that each individual can take from the lesson what she or he specifically needs and apply it in real life situations. Sister Sorenson at one point made a comment that all we really need to do sometimes is "lower our expectations" which more positively translates into "setting realistic goals!" She was talking about family scripture study with her four children emphasizing that she can't expect to get through a whole chapter-- and if she sets that unrealistic goal for herself then she is only disappointed when it inevitable isn't achieved.
We inherently think that lowering our expectations is a bad thing, but what I realized from Sister Sorenson's comment was that there are times when we need to set realistic goals for ourselves and allow ourselves pride in small accomplishments. This is something I struggle with daily. Simple tasks are daunting when I set too high of goals. Example: Today was my day off and I had a list of 9 things I needed [wanted] to get done... I got 3 1/2 of them done. I've learned to do the easiest things first, leaving the harder tasks for later. In doing this, sure, I may be putting off the big stuff, but I'm also building up to them. I am definitely a checklist personality and so getting 3/9 of my checklist done earlier in the day gave me more confidence to at least get started on the others. It's like doing a puzzle; nobody in their right mind starts in the middle, only an insane person with a lust for masochistic behavior would do that! You're most definitely setting yourself up for failure [or at least making the objective much harder on yourself than necessary.]
I used to [and it's still a habit I'm trying to kick] think I had to get everything done at once or it was not worth even starting. If I didn't have time in a day to separate the laundry, get it in the wash, dry it, get it out of the dryer while it's still hot before it wrinkles and get it folded, or hung and put away-- that it was not worth even starting. You can see how this mentality leads to a whole lotta nothin' gettin' done! [My poor, poor Jordan.] If I couldn't get all the dishes washed dried and put away then I wasn't even going to waste my energy on half  completion. When I looked at life that way it was so daunting! I had to realize that each step in and of itself is it's own task.
Setting realistic goals will surely help in all areas of life. I catch myself feeling as though I need to know all the details of life that aren't even written yet. Worrying so much about making those middle pieces fit before I even have an edge to connect them to. So as of today, I'm adapting a one step at a time puzzlers mentality!
And that's a good way to look at life, right? Build your solid edge and everything inbetween will eventually fall into it's proper place.

1 comment:

jiggajordan said...

This is working great! You've already got so much done.