April 6, 2013

The First Part Last

37.5 weeks! 

Here is the last part first  --Spoiler Alert!--  Baby and I are fine. 
Now you can read the following story without anxiety! 
........
 When I woke up Monday morning my biggest concern was that the doctor was going to check my cervix at my 37 week appointment. Yuck. Sorry, but I just don't love the idea of someone grabbing all up in me!  Bleh! Little did I know how my morning would turn out... 
Jordan and I went to our appointment and my weight was great, Baby's heartbeat was right on target, my blood pressure was in range, my belly was growing accordingly, but then the doctor said, "There's protein in your urine..." 
AND?? 
That is a big indicator of a condition called preeclampsia. I tried not to freak, but I've heard of preeclampsia before. A professor of mine back in college had a pretty severe case with both her boys. She had shared her experiences with the class because we were reading a book, The First Part Last, in which a teen mother goes un-diagnosed of preeclampsia and bleeds out and dies after giving birth! Yikes, right!? So this is what's in my mind when my doctor says the "P" word.

Our doctor tells us I'll have to do a 24 hour urine catch so a larger sum of my urine can be tested for protein to confirm or deny his suspicions. This is Monday. We get the jug to fill from the hospital, will return it Tuesday after work, it'll be tested Wednesday with results to the doctor Thursday morning. If they come back positive, he says "You're coming down right away and we're delivering your baby Thursday night!" 
YIKES! 
In the meantime, I've got from Monday to Thursday to really freak out. Though I'm trying not to because the stress wont do any good for Baby or me, I know. However, you know I can't help but get on Web MD right when Jordan and I leave the doctors office! What would you do! It seems like all the questions never come to your mind while you're at your appointment, you only think of them once you've left and have nowhere else to turn but the all knowing internet. We're driving home and I'm crying because of all the possibilities of things that can go wrong if I have this condition. Jordan finally says he's going to take his phone away if I don't get off the internet because we don't know anything yet and it's all just freaking me out too much. 
Monday I was really a wreck. But by Tuesday I had settled down a little, I was still concerned, but had some weight lifted off my shoulders after learning that preeclampsia is something that happens in 5% of first pregnancies. The stroke and seizures I was on the lookout for are only a big concern if it goes undetected for a long period of the pregnancy and since we had the jump on figuring out what was up with my body-- we are in a much safer place to detect and treat right away. 

Thursday morning I called the doctor because I couldn't wait for him to call me. His nurses said I was at a 249 ml protein content, 150 is normal for regular non-pregnant people, 300 is high-normal for pregnancy; but they wouldn't induce unless I were in the 1,000's. So I am in the higher pregnancy range, but still fairly normal. My blood work also came back fine and my blood pressure has remained in a healthy range. [I told Jordan we could go to Wal*Mart to check my pressure on our own, since we can't schedule doctors appointments everyday! "If it puts your mind at ease, babe."]

We had our follow-up appointment yesterday and our doctor said it was no longer something he was majorly concerned with, but we should still keep an eye out for lingering headaches as they are an indicator of rising blood pressure and I could still develop the condition; it just may have been to early too detect this week. 

Scary, I know, but Baby is almost 38 weeks which is great because he could be delivered and be just healthy and fine! Fully developed! He is moving about a storm still. All I can do now is pray, listen to my body and trust myself. I believe our bodies work with us and I'm just being extra careful to note any  differences I may feel and not feel embarrassed if I'm that girl who is calling the nurses everyday! 
Better safe than sorry. 
.....
I'm done with work and here I am smiling again! 
Good thing I decided to take Maternity Leave a week earlier than originally desired. I'd thought I'd try to work right up until the week before due date, but as things got closer [and I got less mobile!] I began to think a little extra time might be needed. After all, I've worked really hard and I deserve the extra break, especially with the new house to get in order! So I've got [HOPEFULLY] two more weeks until Baby comes and plenty to keep me busy; though I promise I'll relax and take it easy!  



No comments: