June 15, 2013

We bought a zoo [ticket]!

Grandma and Papa are visiting for Fathers Day weekend and while poor Daddy stuck at work yesterday, we decided to take Baby to the zoo! Living in Utah, I've always heard people making fun of the Hoggle Zoo, but my first experience was great! The tickets were quite inexpensive [Grandmas treat, thanks!]; we three adults and free baby got in for less than one admission ticket to the San Diego Zoo. Even the membership for both Jordan and I would only be sixty seven bucks together! We will definitely be getting a membership when Harrison gets older! As for yesterday-- well, he enjoyed the zoo as much as a seven week old baby can enjoy the zoo. 

Can you see the excitement all over his face!? 
At least his little carrier cover has some zebra-like print. 


I have never been to a zoo in the states where the animals habitats are so open. We were able to get really close to most of the animals. I also have never seen such lively animals, out and about for viewing. Every time you go to the zoo you sort of expect to pay fifty bucks to see a thumbnails sized polar bear in the distance under his canopy sleeping, but not here-- zoo keepers must be slipping some meth or heroin into those feed bags! [Sorry, I can't say I'm much of a drug connoisseur, so I'm not sure if meth and heroin are uppers or downers, but insert upper's street name here ________. That's what these animals been chowin' on. Oh, that kind gets injected, well damn. You get the idea, right?] 

This hanging food sack was so cool! We got to watch the elephants stretch their trunks and reach for food. I've never seen elephants display their trunks so beautifully! 

Mommy and Baby Elephant
Baby just got done with a little romp in the pond. 



Harrison being a rhino with Grandma... 

Harrison being a baby eaglet with Mama. 

[I think I just made that word up for 'baby eagle'... Nope, I just looked it up. It means what I said it would. Man, I should be in charge of creating new words because I'm really good if I think I'm making up a word that actually happens to already be a word.   "...or your an idiot for not knowing it was a real word in the first place," so would say Jordan!] 

Harrison being an otter with Abuelito. 

The giraffes had a special treat in these buckets with little holes for them to stick their tongue and lick. It would rotate on the circle to show off his long neck and muscles. Really so cool! Whoever designed these exhibits really thought about the animals playing to their strengths as well as the visitor experience. I usually get a little sad at the zoo because the animals are just stuck in small cages without much to do but wander from wall to wall, but here they all had inside as well as outside areas to enjoy. 

"What'ch'you doin'?" 
 The baby giraffe is a little more interested in Harrison than Harrison is in him. 


Uh-oh, someone taught my dad about 'selfies.' 
If old people are doing it, I'm going to have to stop!


"Penguins & Harrison, these are a few of Aunt Nikki's favourite things!"  

Harrison is not really feeling his new hat, but he's gotta be protected from the sun.
...and he's practicing his 'bro look for his first visit to Lake Elsinore! 

We stopped and fed Harrison to get that grimace off his face and then ventured over to the primates. They are just so human like, it really is a crazy resemblance. 
We were watching the orangatangs, just lounging and being lazy, when my mom moved over to the gorilla to check out the silverback... 

                                  ...and THIS HAPPENED! 
He was laying down when she walked over there and she took a picture of him lying there and well... apparently he does not like his picture taken because he sat up and just stared at her for like 2 minutes before these little kids ran over and he walked off. Which was total bummer because I was trying as fast as I could to get Harrison out of his stroller to just hold him up in front of this angry, bad A' gorilla  and snap another pic. Which in hindsight might have really triggered him and sent him into a crazy Planet of the Apes rage! Buuuuuut, how cool would it have been to show little H in like 5 or 6 years a picture of him just sleeping next to a 'roid ragin' silverback?! 
...next time. 

Until then, this picture will work til Grandma can come back and tick him off again. 


Thanks for taking me on my first zoo adventure, Grandma and Grandpa! -H. 



1 comment:

Unknown said...

hey... dont make fun of my ou!