January 4, 2013

To make a house a HOME...


I have quickly become so over our little apartment! 
Funny how things change dependent on current life circumstances, right? What once was a nice enough place has grown to be a burden. We've lived here in this little one bedroom apartment since we moved to Utah two and a half years ago-- then it was just nice enough and cheap enough. The key factors a newly married couple is looking for! Hoewever, the dingy walls, floors and water logged cupbards have made it impossible to feel like I've ever thoroughly cleaned the place. Almost everything we own is hand-me-down or thrift store chic because we've always known Provo was not going to be "home;" and the cost of an eventual move has prevented us from committing to making large purchases. We didn't know if we'd even stick around Utah and in the event of an out of state move we'd have to sell everything for less than what it's worth and definitely less than what we could buy a new item for because it just wouldn't be cost effective to u-haul it across state lines. Make sense? So we've just been living like college students. We have some nice things, but this apartment makes everything look dull. 

I am ready for a new place. So ready to lay some roots! Is this my nesting instinct kicking in? Some of it does have to do with Baby on the way, but it's also a feeling that Jordan and I have both worked so hard to save and grow that we are ready for that expansion. I want to paint walls! To print large canvas portraits to hang! I want clean walls, new carpets, counter space in my kitchen! [Which I have NONE of now!] 

I'm just ready to start settling down before Baby gets here. I'd like to decorate and make the place we live a HOME. We're a little in limbo right now just waiting to see where we're headed so I've got to be patient, but I want to start boxing things up already! I'm letting our cupbards slowly empty themselves and have already begun weeding through old clothes and shoes that I haven't worn in years. 
Real family life with the house, the baby, the nice furniture and organized closets is on the horizon. I can see it! I just have to settle down, express faith and patience and trust that the doors we've been knocking on will be opened! 


No comments: