July 21, 2013

A talk for Sacrament

What are you willing to give up to be a disciple of Christ? 

Because I am a convert to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, family, friends and sometimes even strangers often ask me what I had to give up for my membership in The Church. What I was willing to exchange for my discipleship of Christ. Though-- I have to say it’s a tough question to answer because I’ve never seen this journey to discipleship as a loss. I've never thought of my spiritual conversion to God, Christ and His gospel as anything but complete gain.

Yet they always ask; so I wondered to myself-- what did I ‘give up?’ What did I have to lose? Alcohol, some partying, coffee- which I was surprisingly never a big fan of anyway, tank tops and short dresses- now that was harder than the alcohol! Shopping & working on Sundays, R rated movies, 10% of my income… these are a few things that come to mind. However, I think that when people ask what worldly vices it is that I haaaad to let go of, they should really be asking themselves, “What’do I have to lose?”

I guess I've never thought of anything I've “lost” as a sacrifice. I've never felt that the negative connotation that the world associates with the word, ‘sacrifice’ was the right way to describe my conversion. Because I gained so many blessings in return. And so my conversion brings me joy. Elder Neal A. Maxwell agrees that, “There is no greater calling, no greater challenge, and no greater source of joy-- both proximate joy and ultimate joy-- than that which is found in the process of discipleship.” You see-- it was an exchange, as I feel most dealings with Our Heavenly Father are. The Lord always challenges us; asking first for our dedication before giving so freely of the blessings we may receive. And so it is hard for some when they are more focused on the suffering of what they stand to lose that they cannot see what they stand to gain. 

Discipleship is defined by Webster’s online dictionary as, “an assistance of spreading the teachings of another.” Yet my Bible Dictionary reads, a disciple is “a pupil or learner.” So is a disciple a teacher or a student? Both. In exchange for preaching the gospel I am often rewarded with an increase of knowledge acquired from those I teach. This is, I believe, the circle discipleship is meant to be.  

Elder Dallin H. Oaks claims that being a disciple of Christ is as easy as “follow[ing] in the footsteps of our Savior.” “[His] example and teachings define the path for every follower of Christ.” Yet it’s not that simple is it? Because when we ask ourselves, ‘What am I willing to give up to better become a true disciple of Christ?’ we can only answer by asking another question… ’What was Christ willing to give up for me?’ To which the answer is; EVERYTHING. He gave up his family, his home, his time, his pride, and eventually his LIFE. 
How can we compete with that you might ask? But we’re not meant to. 
We’re meant only to TRY.    

In Elder Dallin H. Oaks April 2013 General Conference talk, “Followers of Christ,” he asks, “… [how] each of us qualify as followers of Christ [?]” stating that “Jesus’s teachings were not meant to be theoretical. Always they were meant to be acted upon.” And that “Following Christ is not a casual or occasional practice, but a continuous commitment and way of life…” So I ask, of our continuous commitment, how do we qualify?

I’d like to focus on the last three points I mentioned I believe Jesus gave for us—TIME, PRIDE and his LIFE.

*******************************************

Christ chose to spend his TIME here in the Telestial World preaching the word of The Father to all in need. We know that Jesus’s mortal ministry was three years. For three full years he did nothing but concern himself with the mortal and eternal wellbeing of others. Seeking out those in need in hopes of bringing a knowledge of truth and light back into their lives. Our Saviors hand was never forced, he was not sold into a life of servitude to Our Heavenly Father; rather he willingly chose his role, “Thy will be done,” he said.

We can give of our time as little or as freely as we are willing. Pray often, study the scriptures, church magazines and educational books, dedicate Sundays for church and family time, plan and execute Family Home Evening weekly, attend new member baptisms, set dates for the temple, magnify callings, serve in missions and so on. Time should be the easiest of these three things to give up, yet it always seems the hardest doesn't it? Because we live in a fast passed self-centered world that is all about go-go-go and me-me-me.

Sometimes during the week when I am home alone, as Harrison naps, I just look at him in awe of the time, patience and love God must have spent creating this perfect little body to house this perfect little soul and I am overcome with joy that He was willing to send Harrison to me and Jordan. And all He asks in return is that we take the time throughout our son’s life to do as His own Son did-- and teach Harrison the gospel to bring him back to his Father in Heaven. 

*******************************************

Now PRIDE, I’d like to think that I am not alone in the battle against pride. 
It can rear its ugly little head at so many points in our lives and rule over us if we if we are unable to control it. 

I remember when Jordan and I decided to give up R-rated movies a few years ago. It was the first year into our marriage when I was planning a Girls Night, dinner and a movie. I was excited that a new friend from church was able to come, however a few days later she regretfully informed me that her husband would like her only to attend dinner and skip the movie because it was rated “R.” I understood her respect to her husband, but was confused that as adults they would categorize ALL R-rated movies as bad just because a Prophet or an Apostle had counseled against the viewing of such films years ago.

When the night came, I said goodbye to her after dinner and went with my other girlfriends to see the movie. It was funny. It was inappropriate, but it gave me a good laugh at the time. That was the last R rated movie I saw. Her husband’s obedience to even the smallest letter of the law struck a chord with me. Jordan and I discussed that even though we’re adults, we can still learn a thing or two. We’d all like to think we always know what is best for us. It’s hard to acknowledge when we’re WRONG. Even harder, is the necessary change that comes after that realization, but if we set aside our pride we become teachable and our hearts are opened to follow Christ as he would have us.

*******************************************

And finally LIFE. Jesus not only gave his life in death to atone for man’s sin; but dedicated his life, returning lost sheep to the fold. Luke 14:33 reads, “…whosever he be of you that forsaketh not all that he hath, he cannot be my disciple.” Those who wish to be disciples of the Lord must be willing to give everything as did our Savior. How many can say they are willing to die for their beliefs? I do not, however, believe that is what Heavenly Father wants for us. We do not have to give our lives as many pioneers who came before us did. We can give OF our lives by taking on the name of Christ through baptism and following closely in his footsteps. We should happily and willingly be a tool in the hands of the Lord. To give of our time, put aside our pride, and let God guide our lives in the direction that allows Him to bless others through us.  

I ask you today, not what you already have or what more you are willing to give up for your discipleship. Instead, I ask you what is standing in the way of you holding closely and firmly to that iron rod, as you navigate your way along the path Christ has left for us? What is holding you back?  

Christ gave up EVERYTHING.
When we ask ourselves what there might be that we are not willing to give up,  
...I hope we can all answer-- NOTHING.

These words I say humbly in the name of Jesus Christ, 
AMEN.


No comments: