July 23, 2013

Jordan's Talk

Learning to overcome adversity

Today I speak of how we can learn to overcome adversity. Elder Richard G Scott said “Trials, disappointments, sadness, and heartache come to us from two basically different sources. Those who transgress the laws of God will always have those challenges. The other reason for adversity is to accomplish the Lord’s own purposes in our life that we may receive the refinement that comes from testing.” He goes on to say it is vital to know which causes of our challenges. We should repent and counsel with the Bishop if our transgressions are the source of our adversity. For all other trials that come upon the righteous, we must seek what the Lord would have us learn.

As a missionary I met with my mission president for an interview every six weeks. Sometimes it was five minutes, sometimes it was an hour and a half. He’d ask questions and then be silent after you thought you had answered- often these moments would draw out deeper feelings than had previously been expressed. One such occasion got me talking- I told my mission president that I was somewhat confused: I’d been working more diligently than ever before but I wasn't seeing anything come from it. He listened kindly and then asked me to turn to Alma chapter thirty with him.  I did so, feeling familiar with the chapter but not seeing any application for me.  What did Korihor and his preaching against Christ, the atonement and the plan of Salvation have to do with me?
Together we read verses 43 and 44.

43 And now Korihor said unto Alma: If thou wilt show me a sign, that I may be convinced that there is a God, yea, show unto me that he hath power, and then will I be convinced of the truth of thy words.
44 But Alma said unto him: Thou hast had signs enough; will ye tempt your God? Will ye say, Show unto me a sign, when ye have the testimony of all these thy brethren, and also all the holy prophets? The scriptures are laid before thee, yea, and all things denote there is a God; yea, even the earth, and all things that are upon the face of it, yea, and its motion, yea, and also all the planets which move in their regular form do witness that there is a Supreme Creator.

President Nichols, a man of compassion, looked up from his scriptures into my eyes and said, “Elder Hughes, thou hast had signs enough.” On the surface I thought I should feel rebuked, but I didn't. I felt loved.

His assessment was spot on. As I’d become a more confident missionary, my humility had waned and I was leading with less faith. I just expected the work to produce results- I had been slow to see if my desire was aligned with the Lord’s will. I’m not sure why but I had let the work become about myself. I left the interview realizing I had approached this period the wrong way.  Instead of trying to learn and grow, I resorted to asking questions that weren't helpful: “Why is this happening to me? What have I done to cause this?” The correct approach was to persevere with faith and remember all the signs the Lord had already given me. I’d like to take a moment and review my signs.  

  • I have a testimony of tithing. I've felt the windows of heaven open and blessings poured out.  It has always blessed me with a job. Not always what I wanted or when I wanted, but what I needed and when I needed it.
  • I have a testimony of the word of wisdom.  I have been blessed with health and protection as I've treated my body like the holy vessel it is. 
  • I know the scriptures are the word of God. I know that as we “diligently aseeketh[we] shall find; and the bmysteries of God shall be unfolded unto [us], by the power of the cHoly Ghost” (1N10:19)
  • I've had the guidance of the spirit in my life as I've strived to take upon me the name of Christ and keep his commandments.
  • I know the sealing power has been restored and it provides a great strength to my marriage and family.

During his ministry, Christ comes upon his disciples arguing with scribes (Mark 9). As he asks what the issue is, a man steps out of the crowd. He explains to the Savior,

17 …Master, I have brought unto thee my son, which hath a dumb spirit;
18 And wheresoever he taketh him, he teareth him: and he foameth, and gnasheth with his teeth, and pineth away: and I spake to thy disciples that they should cast him out; and they could not.

They brought the boy before Christ where
20 …the spirit tare him; and he fell on the ground, and wallowed foaming.

The father pleaded:
22 If thou canst do anything, have compassion on us and help us.
23 Jesus said unto him, If thou canst believe, all things are possible to him that believeth.
24 And straightway the father of the child cried out, and said with tears, Lord, I believe; help thou mine unbelief.

Elder Holland’s talk last conference was titled after this man’s words, “Lord, I believe.” I would like to contrast this man’s response to adversity with mine. Elder Holland’s first observation is that ‘straightaway’ the father asserts his strength. His strength being his faith.  

I quote, “I would say to all who wish for more faith, remember this man! In moments of fear or doubt or troubling times, hold the ground you have already won, even if that ground is limited. In the growth we all have to experience in mortality, the spiritual equivalent of this boy’s affliction or this parent’s desperation is going to come to all of us. When those moments come and issues surface, the resolution of which is not immediately forthcoming, hold fast to what you already know and stand strong until additional knowledge comes... The size of your faith or the degree of your knowledge is not the issue—it is the integrity you demonstrate toward the faith you do have and the truth you already know.”

Elder Holland’s next observation is almost a restatement of the first: do not lead with your doubts. Can you imagine the difference if this man had explained his doubts first; if he had hesitated and reasoned to himself with how nothing had helped so far; if he said that he had believed before but it hadn't helped so far. I fear it may have altered the healing of the boy.

I love the gospel. It never asks for faith to be pretended. The gospel asks individuals to try and know for themselves. God doesn't fulfill the promise in Moroni randomly, but all who ask with belief and works will be answered with a witness of the Spirit.  Our questions and the weak points of our testimony need to be addressed, but they shouldn't be magnified to where they overshadow the the light we've previously gained.

Brothers and Sisters we have more faith than we think we do.  Elder Holland said so in his talk.  Earlier I chose to list some points of my testimony that have developed from exercising faith. This is a process I need to do more often. As I did this I realized that I could have a collection of my testimony building experiences. The aggregate of these experiences written in detail could serve as an evidence of the Lord’s involvement in my life. What a great place to turn during times of difficulty or to share with those not seeing the Lord’s hand in their life.  Sharing our testimony is a great opportunity to reflect on our own spiritual convictions. If you haven’t had these experiences ask the righteous people you know what fruits of the gospel they've seen in their life.  It isn't difficult to recognize the happiness in the lives of those who keep the commandments.

I've also recognized that we need to leave room for the spirit to speak to us. Once upon a time I would wake up to music, drive with music and go to sleep with music.  Not allowing time to ponder or reflect on your spiritual state can stifle the spirit. One of my favorite verses reminds me of this.  I hear the voice of a loving patient parent in these words: Be still and know that I am God (Doctrine & Covenants 101:16).

In preparation of this talk, I've learned to look forward to adversity.  Adversity is an opportunity to exercise faith. Our perfect loving Heavenly Father has allowed adversity into our lives in order to teach us. Elder Scott calls these trials ‘evidence that the Lord feels you are prepared to grow more.’ Choosing to respond with ‘thy will be done’ will be the quickest route to peace regardless of the length or severity of the trial.

Let us not forget the counsel to ‘be of good cheer.’ This phrase occurs many times in the scriptures. The Savior said to his apostles before going into the Gethsemane, “In the world ye shall have tribulation, but be of good cheer; I have over come the world” (John 16:33). Neal A. Maxwell explains how they could find happiness:

The unimaginable agony of Gethsemane was about to descend upon Jesus; Judas’ betrayal was imminent. Then would come Jesus’ arrest and arraignment; the scattering of the Twelve like sheep; the awful scourging of the Savior; the unjust trial; the mob’s shrill cry for Barabbas instead of Jesus; and then the awful crucifixion on Calvary. What was there to be cheerful about? Just what Jesus said: He had overcome the world! The atonement was about to be a reality. The resurrection of all mankind was assured. Death was to be done away with—Satan had failed to stop the atonement. [But a Few Days (Salt Lake City: The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 1983), 4]

            When your trials come ask for help. We have not been left comfortless but with a hand that reaches out to us still. I've recognized a pharisee-like tendency to distance ourselves from the atonement as we distance ourselves from sin. Sister Camille Fronk explained,

I can realize that I will do more to help another person find the Lord by admitting my utter dependence on Christ in my actions and informal conversations than by parading a seemingly perfect outward appearance, which all too frequently communicates that I no longer need Him. We should be competing against sin, not trying to determine who needs the Savior less. When we acknowledge that we each face difficulties; that the Savior overcame the world; that He has lifted and strengthened and given vision to each of us in very personal ways, we will realize that we are never alone. We will feel a peace within even though the crisis without still rages. We will be filled with hope and even cheer.

As Elder Holland said: Hope on. Journey on. Honestly acknowledge your questions and your concerns, but first and forever fan the flame of your faith, because all things are possible to them that believe.

I pray that as we actively remember our faith we will learn to overcome adversity with trust in the Lord and the desire to learn and grow.  In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.




No comments: