July 31, 2013

The Inner Monologue of a Stay at Home Mom...

Last night Harrison went to bed a half an hour early.
Without a fuss. 
In Daddy's arms.
...while I played around on my new iPad the hubby got me.

Then he woke up at a quarter after one. Ugh.
(He usually sleeps through the night until about six.)
And again at four.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle.
All night long.

He woke again at six, right on cue.
Bottle, diaper change and the regular morning wiggles.
Kicking me in my arms and chest as I try to sleep through it hoping he'll eventually get tired and fall back asleep.
No such luck.
But I knew this already.

I pick him up and hold him above my head and call him 'handsome,' I get a slew of those early morning smiles I love!

Daddy says prayer with us and here starts my day alone with baby.
I decide a swaddle and the rest of his bottle is my best bet at getting him to "nap" less than an hour since he woke.
Ambitious, I know, but he's gotta be as tired as I am,
Right?
...oh babies, you are endless pits of poop and energy! 

Somehow it works!
It is a Christmas miracle, Charlie Brown.
Christmas in July.

And when he wiggles me awake again it is nearly two and a half hours later!
Thank my lucky stars.

About an hour and a half later he takes another bottle and surprisingly falls into a baby milk coma and my inner turmoil begins...

"Do I clip his nails or take a shower?"
"He really needs his nails trimmed..."
"...I really need a shower!"

"It's too risky, he's barely been asleep a few minutes."

"He's awful close to the edge of the bed."
"Nah, I can fit a pillow there. That's at least a roll and a half."
"...and he's on his back. He's only rolled over four times so far. And that was from tummy to back."
"...I mean, what are the odds that today is the day he rolls from back to tummy.. and back again..?"
"...in is sleep."

"I could move him over to the middle."
"No. He'll wake up for sure."
"The pillows will do. I'll barricade him with two and put two more on the ground to catch his fall in case he does fall."
"Man, that's still a two foot drop to safety of the pillows. Assuming he doesn't do some fancy mid air roll my mommy forum has not warned me about and bounced, missing the pillows."
"In which case it's about a three foot drop to the floor."
"What if he rolls through the pillow fortress, safely onto the pillow catch below, but then rolls off those face first into that giant multi plug Jordan has sticking out of the wall."
"Man that thing is hideous! Didn't I ask him to hide that under the bed?"
"He'll be fine."
"He'll be fine." 
"I'm sure he'll be fine. That's like 3 feet from the edge."

"Should I leave the door open? He's right there, he's definitely gonna wake up."
"If I shut it I can't see him."
"Maybe halfway."

*I get in the empty shower to see if I can see him through the mirror with the door shut halfway.
 I can't.
 Nor can I see him with the door wide open...

"I'm screwed."
"I'm guess I'm just never showering again."

"Well, I can't see him, but I CAN see the pillows blocking him..."
"So I could see if he falls."
"I can't stop him from falling, but I could at least get to him within seconds after the fall."
"He's not going to fall."
"I'm being crazy."
"If Jordan only knew what was going on in my head right now, he might go crazy FOR me."
[I only let him in on about a tenth of my crazy!]

I decide to shower.

"He'll be FINE."

I usually don't closer my eyes in the shower for the same reason as every other mildly sane person out there-- I don't want to become vulnerable to the killer who gets you in your shower when you let your guard down; but this time I had to keep wiping the fog from the glass to check on my baby. Or the pillows, rather.

I get a nice hot ten minute shower and Harrison was fine.
As I turn off the faucet I don't hear any cries, so he must have slept through the noise.
And then...
it happens before I can do anything about it.
One of those slow motion, "Noooooo!" movie moments.
The shampoo bottle falls to the floor.

"Sunnuvab*tch."
That one I said aloud.

Aaaaand, he's awake.



  "...At least I'm clean." 

No comments: