March 27, 2012

Surprise/Surprise!

When I turned 15 my best friends threw me a SURPRISE birthday party. It was a Wednesday. My real party, a slumber party[!], was planned for the weekend. I was lead to believe that my mother had to take my brother to go get my sister from somewhere and I could not go with [I didn't ask why. I was happy to have the house to myself.] My mom said she would pick up dinner and bring me back some Taco Bell-- my absolute favorite birthday dinner! Even now. Then Sara called and asked if I could come over. I didn't want to.   I wanted Taco Bell. So I told her I'd have to call my mom [on her Zach Morris cell phone. For real] and ask permission. My mother, being in on the plan, of course said I could walk the two blocks to Sara's house and hang out with her. Sara tried to lure me under the guise that she had wanted to give me my present early. On my real birthday, not later that weekend at the party. I wanted Taco Bell! More than I wanted an early present. So I almost lied. I almost told her my mom had said no.  ...and  she would obviously have known I was lying! Because my mother was standing next to her when she took my call and allowed me to go out. When I walked in her house I was indeed very surprised to see all my friends screaming "Surprise!" And my mother. Without Taco Bell.

Tonight we had a SURPRISE PARTY for Cami's birthday. She shares a birthday with her daughter, same day, crazy huh? "Happy birthday to me," she must have thought while stuck in labor! So it was a double surprise party.
Her husband planned it all and it turned out great! She has lots of family nearby, which made for a large group to shush all at once before she walked in the door. There were a few near reveals before she walked in, but she was on her phone and totally distracted, so we really did surprise her! I'm not sure her 3 year old daughter entirely understood what was going on because I think I overheard her ask, "When's my party Mommy?"

BIRTHDAY GIRLS! 

I made cakes for the both of them, this one was a mini cake 
just for the little birthday girl!
 ...and one for Mama. 

If you think "Happy Birthday" was loud, you should have heard "SURPRISE!"

BLOW OUT THE CANDLES! 
What do three year olds wish for? A pony? 
You know I'd have been wishing for two bean burritos [no onions], nachos 
and an extra large Baja Blast!

Holy Moley! Just how old are you Cami!? 


I might have been a little bit of a hide-your-car-and-walk-a-mile nazi, but I really wanted Cami to be surprised. She deserves a great new year. Good riddance to 25, hello to another year and all it's mysteries, right Cam!?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

i'm not a big fan of cake, but that looks sooo good! i am a newbie to your blog! i'm glad i found it. i invite you to check out mine. =)

Slamber Use said...

Thanks! I'm venturing out from cupcakes to whole cakes... a daunting task!