March 13, 2012

Sunday S'mores & Stylish Cycling

Yesterday I planned a surprise[!] Sunday appropriate date for Jordan and myself...
It was said to be such good weather, so I had planned a special picnic-bike adventure. Jordan only knew that we'd be riding our bikes. And, well, that we'd be having a picnic once we got to our secret destination. I think he also may have figured out our destination less than halfway there, [I'm not a very good sneak] so I had to thrown him off my trail and lie a little by saying we were going further up the trail. We were headed to the outdoor mall I work at because all store but 3 are closed on Sunday, but the music is still going and the fires are left on [for the homeless people?] so we would be able to enjoy the tranquility of the cement wilderness with a little mellow trend music as we ROASTED MARSHMALLOWS at the fire pits! Fun, right!? It was.
The bike ride, though I knew it would be long, was a little more than I bargained for! Ugh. [I'm lazy.] It all seemed uphill, but I felt silly for complaining because it doesn't really look or even seem steep as you're on it, the incline is small but serious business! Jordan asked about three times if we were halfway yet and we weren't-- yet I had already begun my defeated complaint that I was never going to make it. I began looking for any sort of wilderness that would suffice for a picnic spot, however; I had promised Jord a special surprise, so I knew he'd be onto me if we just stopped in the vacant parking lot at the end of Freedom Blvd. So I trudged on. At one point I had to stop cycling and push my bike up a steep hill. I also fell off my bike on the way home [because I almost got ran over by a car since my breaks don't work too well.] It wasn't as dramatic as it sounds, I breaked, then put my feet out to slow me the rest of the way. I was about 1/3 of the way into the crosswalk and started walking backwards while still straddling my bike, the back tire hit the raised curb tilting the bike and pushing me off it. Thankfully cars were passing and hopefully had only seen bits and pieces of the whole incident. The ride home [before the fall] was easy breezy, we took most of the Provo River Trail home and got to ride along side the small river, passing other Mormon couples out on Sunday [walking] dates as we rode. One couple were laying under a blanket on the grass by the river and the boy was on top of the girl smooching and making out[!]; I wished I had a baby with me [like when I lived with Tabby and we were on a picnic date and saw a couple doing the same smoochy thing, though they were really going at it!] so I could point at it [the baby] and yell, "You'll end up with one of these doing that!" Because technically you can get pregnant from kissing... 'Boy-On-Top-Of-Girl, Making-Out' is a gateway drug, everybody knows that. 

I told Jord we were "fashion cycling",  but he didn't seem to understand the "fashion" part so well. He's very logical and academic you know, so fashion isn't exactly his forte. And as we know from his previous modeling stint on my blog, he's not very happy when the camera comes out and he's forced to 'strike a pose!' for me. [I think he gets his fashion sense from his 12 year old sister Sadie, who would probably agree that a brown striped poncho matches with brown plaid cargo shorts as long as he wears brown socks to tie it all together!] 

[We all know I couldn't handle it if he was cuter than me anyway] 

Jordan thinks I could ride this route to work everyday. 
*Puh-leeeeze! It's like 4 3/4 mile ONE way!  

We parked under the gazebo, laid out our blanket and had lunch. I made really yummy turkey sandwiches [because more than a week ago I bought a pound and a half of turkey with all intent in the world to be a good wife and pack my husband lunch everyday for work. *Sigh* I think this is only the second time I've used that turkey. = bad wife] It was a little windier than the day before, but overall a particularly nice day. Wish I might have had a light hoodie... but then that would have messed up my cycle style!



[Look at those beautiful Utah mountains behind us!]

When we first arrived we were the only ones there [aside from the bored employees at Happy Sumo, Victoria's Secret and Gymbore -- some places are so silly to be open on Sundays in Happy Valley!], but soon we saw other bicyclists and people walking their dogs. There was one couple and the husband definitely got the Sunday Cycling in Style memo! Even Jordan agreed. And one couple pulling a baby bike cage thingy along, I wanted to offer them some of our s'mores. When at the store planning my S'mores Date I bought the really large marshmallows. I'm talking really large, they have a picture on the back of a whole graham cracker being used for a s'more sandwich. Well... in my head, at the store, this purchase seemed like a great idea[!], however-- in execution, not so much. Becaaaaaaause; they were so big! Too big. So they burned on the outside and then had a gooey layer, but the middle was still regular mallow, untouched by the heat at all. These were ones you'd have to slow roast over a spickit of hot coals with no flame to warm the middles. 



After dessert Jordan had his fortune told by a gypsy wizard in a box. This counts as good clean Sunday Mormon fun because we only had to spend seventy-five cents... and "Zoltar" or whatever his name is, is fake. He's pretty much the longer haired version of the gypsy wish granter in "Big."

[That's not Jordan, that's Tom Hanks] 

[That is Jordan's fortune though...]

...which said that a dark haired person would soon be out of his life. I have dark hair! What the heck Zoltar!? 

On our way home we took the downhill route, so I could catch a break! Stopping on the bridge at the Provo River to take some cute pictures together.... none of which turned out cute, so we took pictures of each other separate and had a little better luck. 



Jordan said he loved our date, which I hope is true. And since we had such a late lunch I got out of making dinner! Yay! We just grubbed on a bunch of desserty snacks the rest of the night because we had couples-friends over for Game Night. Which was a great ending to our Sunday. 

I liked planning an odd, fun and inexpensive date for us. We don't get much time together between work and school. Sundays are usually filled with church meetings and lesson planning, then naps. I think if we make plans for mini dates on Sunday we can keep from wasting the day away. I can even crock pot something in afternoon before we leave so it'll be ready for dinnertime whenever we get home. And Game Night is going to have to turn into a monthly event! "Hella Skiing!"

No comments: