November 11, 2012

Baby Bump!

I've been thinking I've been a little bad at keeping memories of my pregnancy. Life has been so hustle and bustle lately there's almost been no down time to let it sink in that Jordan and I are soon to be ... PARENTS! Agh!

We found out the day we got home from Costa Rica and that was such an adventurous trip that we still needed some R&R time afterward. We went to the doctor a week later to confirm the at home test was correct... even though my constant sickness was a dead-ringer indicator that I was indeed pregnant!

We got to see our little bugger at 7 weeks / 2 days along. At that point s/he was just a little gummy bear and we weren't the crying hysterical type because our little embryo didn't even look like a mini human yet. Plus I think most sonogram pictures all look the same-- like sea monkeys.
But we love our little sea monkey very much!

I'll admit I was the very scared and cautious type, so I wanted to wait until we were "out of the woods" and past our first trimester to tell anyone. ANYONE. Even our parents. Jordan agreed to wait until I was ready and so we told our families at 12 weeks. I had been very scared that any little thing with my body could go wrong and adversely affect the baby, but then on "The New Normal" the couple talked about letting their pregnancy be the joy that it was and I realized I had to ease up and let the share the happiness of it with others. I still wanted to wait the full 12 weeks, but was so excited when we got to send out the announcements to our parents and siblings.

The pregnancy thus far has been great, despite the all-day sickness. Honestly, it could be worse; I've heard much worse horror stories of morning sickness. I can still make it into work every morning, which is a blessing... and a curse. Ha ha! If only I had an excuse to pull a sick day here and there!

We will be 17 weeks tomorrow. 


Our next appointment is a week from Wednesday, when we'll hopefully find out the gender-- as long as little Baby Hughes is cooperating and wants to flash the ultra sound machine his or her goods! 

I know the thing to say when people ask you if you have a gender preference is, "We don't care one way or another, just to long as it's a happy healthy baby," Jordan and I fully subscribe to this notion. We're not just saying it. I think ideally we'd both always imagined a boy first, to be a protective older brother to his future siblings, but I am an older sister and I learned a lot from caring and nurturing my younger siblings. I feel like it's going to be a girl. I have no reason to think this, I just do. The internet-due-date/birthdate-of-mother test my sister in law texted me says it'll be a boy, but I've been feeling it's a girl. Both Jordan's siblings had boys first, so I think it's time for a girl.

Jordan and I will be so happy with whatever little soul God shares with us. Honestly, if we had to choose-- we wouldn't. 

No comments: