November 19, 2012

Welcome to Costa Rica! Part I

Our Costa Rican Adventure... finally! 

Jordan and I had thinking we'd better plan something big for our 2nd anniversary since we had hoped to begin trying to start a family soon. I'm not saying you can't travel with children, but we wanted to get one BIG trip in before our "lives got flipped, turned upside down." Jord perused the internet and found a sweet deal for a 7 day Costa Rican getaway! Lucky for us we went about 2 weeks before the big earthquake! 

Good thing we planned as we did because we found out about our pregnancy the day we got back to the states! So no international traveling for a while... :(  Thankfully my morning sickness did not start until our last day of vacation.

However, I felt physically unable to even look at the pictures we had taken from our trip because even the thought of Costa Rica made me nauseous  I know it was all in my head, since Costa Rica did not MAKE me sick, but, oh CR-- I will always have fond tainted memories of you!

The whole trip was booked with adventures, but we left a few days for exploring local hot spots as well. The scenery was AMAZING, the locals were really nice. The only downside... the food was pretty much terrible. I did not know it was possible to make rice and beans taste bad, but the Costa Ricans found a way! 

So here is our post about our wonderful trip... 3 months later! 
 The beautiful outdoors! 

Personal porch in our own little cabanna at hotel #1!

The view from our room near the Arenal Volcano. 

LOVED the gorgeous street art! 


ONE MILLION DOLLARS!! Muahahaha.
Not really though, their money [colones] is so silly, such a high number for such little value.
Every store used these Victoria's Secret bags, so I felt sexy even when getting my groceries and souvineers! 

We finally used something we learned in highschool.. 
...our Spanish skills!

And saw lots of animals of all varieties! 

Jordan is definitely more of the 'animal whisperer' in our family! 

We stayed at three different hotels in three different ciudades. We had a rental to get ourselves around the country and Jordan can tell you the driving was an adventure in itself! Locals drive like maniacs. I would imagine if you took the drivers of New York and made them all 15 year olds with distracting iphones along with 90 year olds with expired licences, then narrowed the roads by about 4 feet it still wouldn't be as scary as CR was! Pretty much nobody yields the right of way and there is also foot/bike traffic everywhere as well. 

The first hotel was in the forest area near the Arenal Volcano, second was literally ON TOP of the beach in Flamingo Beach near Tamarindo and the last was a sweet little cottage [no tv!] near the top of the Poas Volcano. SO we got to see a good variety of the country. 
I could definitely have used some more beach time though! 

PIG got the royal treatment! 
Everywhere we went the maids placed him like a mint on our freshly made beds. 

Personal JACUZZI TUB in our suite! 


We still have several pictures to share, 
so I'm splitting our story into a few posts.
Please check back for more!  

No comments: