November 21, 2012

"I'm on a boat!"-- Costa Rica Part V

Fun in the Sun! 

We were both lookin' extra fly on our way out to our Sunset [no] Booze [for us] Cruise, so we took some GQ pics on our balcony. And now you are forced to look at our vanity...

I told him his toe shoes [Vibrams] really killed the shot! 

I'm no stick figure, but this is the best I'll be looking until after Baby, 
so let me indulge, hey?

Rockin' the white sunglasses Kanye-style.


Our next trip was SNORKELING!!
We booked an afternoon boat trip sailed by an Australian captain, retired in Costa Rica. They provided us lunch and snacks and booze-- which almost no one was drinking. We don't drink, but I would still have enjoyed the ridiculousness of drunks on a boat, I mean-- I was the only one dancing to THRILLER.
   





TIME TO HIT THE WATER! 



Jordan jumped in ahead of me and swam out away from the boat before I even got into the water. I do not like being in the water without someone less than 4 feet from me. In case of a shark or Orca Whale attack I can push the other person in the way while I formulate an escape.
He ditched me to keep up with the guide who was going to show us all the cool creatures before they got scared away by our presence.   

And do you know what the first thing he said to me as soon 
as I did get in the water...? 
"I SAW A SHARK!"

...and he really did. 
A 4-5 foot long Bull Shark! 

He and the guide were the first ones out to the reef and the only two that saw the shark before it split. It was more afraid of us, than I was of it. Honestly, I am a little sad I never saw it; as terrified as I am of sharks and whales and most oceanic creatures-- I am also very intrigued and love to face my fears. 
I kind of fulfilled a bucket list wish to swim with sharks, I just didn't see it is all! 


After the shark [near] encounter I was too scared to be alone. 
I just don't like the ocean and how things can be swimming underneath and around you and you can't see them. I also don't like that it is their territory-- I mean, in basically any altercation with a sea creature, they are at the advantage. They totally have the upper-hand, as they are more familiar with their surroundings and oh-- they      breath      water! 

 Jordan implied I was holding him back from being a real Steve Zissou so he swam me over to the beach to chill there while he explored the reef. I was very bored on the beach and the tide kept getting higher. All I could think about was that shark waiting for me! Finally Jordan came to my rescue with two kayaks. The catain said the two seater kayak takes on water and it was better to just take two seperate ones so Jord tied a rope and towed the second one out. We got THRASHED on the beach. They were hard plastic kayaks, not blow ups like we're used to, and once Jordan crossed into the wave he got toppled twice before getting to shore. I helped him pull both kayaks ashore, but a wave hit one into me, knocking me over and underwater! It was very intense. And a little scary. The waves kept crashing and knocked the oars out of the kayaks as well as our camera; it all started floating away. Luckily we'd invested in a floating water proof camera case, but we still had to deal with dragging the kayaks to shore before we could go after the small things. Thankfully we got it all! 

Then we had to head back out to the ocean to get to the boat... back into the wave! 

Jordan helped me into my kayak and got me started out past the wave, but then he was left to fend for himself [which I felt really bad about because it was my fault I even required a rescue team!] 
We both made it back to the big boat in one piece although Jordan and I had a few scratches and bruises to show for it!


After all that, one of the other younger couples on the boat wanted to try the kayaks. They had seen what had happened to us!! Everyone had. The captain told them there was just about 15 minutes left until we had to leave [everyone was already back on the boat and settling in for sail], but the guy insisted they'd be back in time. So the captain begrudgingly let him take the kayaks, but asked him to stay near the boat. The guy took his girl over to the beach anyway [I could have told him it was not much to look at but sand and one dead crab over there!] And they got thrashed hard! I couldn't help but laugh! I think he thought we were idiots when we were out there and somehow wanted to show how easy it was to do what we had done... well, he lost an oar and came back with two gashes on his back and leg. I only wish the shark would have smelled his blood!! Muahaha! 

We ate lunch and relaxed as we headed back.

We saw two sea turtles [doing it!] and a whale from a pretty far distance, 
we tried to catch up, but lost it. No dolphins.  

The sunset was absolutely wonderful!



Can you say STUD!? 
What a babe! He could be the new cover for the brochure! 


All good things must come to an end. 
Now I know I said only 5 installments, but Rocky didn't quit at "V" so neither will I. My stories are like crack and you know you want more you crachead, 
so just one more to end it all... 

No comments: