November 21, 2012

Devilish Lizards-- Costa Rica Part II

Costa Rica: Part II
Our first adventure was a river guided "boat trip." The brochure really should have read "river rafting" as I would hardly call this a boat! No complaints though, I rather enjoy rafting. We were with just one other couple so it was a very nice and relaxing afternoon. 
We were able to see the Blue Jean Frog, many lizards, sloths, bats, a billion monkeys and even an alligator [pretty close up too!] 


On our search for monkeys and sloths, we initially had not seen too much movement in the trees so our tour guide was really great to pull us over to a little island in search of monkeys... which we found right away due to his monkey calls. These monkeys were so small but as you can hear below-- they has such deep howls! 



I ventured up this path alone at first and I swear I was going to get 
killed CONGO style! 

When we got out at the bottom of the river our guides had fresh fruits for 
us to snack on and bottled water.. Jordan and I both drank plenty of tap water 
while we were there and neither one of us got sick... hopefully Baby is not born 
with any extra extremities! 

On our way back up to our hotel, the shuttle stopped at a roadside cafe that was LITTERED with iguanas! I guess the story is that the iguanas were there first, right? So the owners of the little restaurante started feeding them left over vegetables and the giant prehistoric lizards kept around looking for an easy meal. And of course it brings lots of tourism to their little spot as well! 






 These pictures don't even begin to do justice of how many of these creepy giant lizards there were here. I am surprised this picture turned out at all because as soon as I sat down they all started flocking  me like little 'compies,' as though I was going to hand feed them or something, and I was freaking out! I knew Jurassic Park really existed somewhere and we found it! My ultimate nightmares were coming true! 

Jordan was so at ease, I am smiling through the fear. 

Jordan The Brave! 

 ...and not so much smiling here at all. 
There was a small yippity dog that was much braver than I and it would chase the iguanas around just to mess with them. Well, while trying to pet GODZILLA here the dog came out and freaked us both out, so then our tour guides started messing with me and barking everytime I got near the iguana! They got a good laugh out of it, but at least I pet them, the two other girls in our group wouldn't go near any of them and just shopped in the souvineer shoppe attached to the cafe. These brave pics are the real souvineers!  

*******************************************
After the ride back to our hotel we went out for our own adventure to a waterfall park [no good pictures of that particular waterfall, but some waterfall pictures to come.] Our brochure said there would be lots of "hanging bridges" to cross... okay, I was expecting what you are probably expecting based on that description, right? ...I'm thinking like Indiana Jones death style rope hanging bridges. I was really anticipating overcoming a fear of heights and staring death in the face on some rickety old hanging bride 1,000 miles over a tremulous-rock studded river bed.

This is what we got. 
Everywhere we went the bridges were a structural engineers dream! 
Hence Jordan's total excitement.

I was less than impressed with the safety of these bridges. 
And by that I mean, they were perfectly safe dammit! 

So we found our Tarzan Adventure elsewhere... 
This is literally a hanging branch from a tree, we didn't know if it would hold our weight without snapping, but gosh darnit we didn't care!! 

 Take that death! 


 My handsome boo in the parks of CR. 

 Now we're talking Jurassic Park status, isn't that beautiful!! 

This swingset may have been more dangerous than the bridges.  

We'll be back with more stories after the break! 


No comments: