November 19, 2012

Stranded in SLC

My car had been acting a little funny lately, like the battery was dying, but it wasn't the battery. I know a little about cars, not a lot, but some-- so it's strange behavior confused me. When it randomly died, one day a few months ago while getting onto the on ramp, I pulled over to the side, prayed it would start again, called Jordan, told him what had happened, waited a minute and started it up again. All was fine. I kept in the slow lane all the way home in case anything happened. I got home safe and nothing of the sort happened again...
UNTIL...
A few nights ago when I was driving home from work [commuting to and from SLC now] my car started acting up again. The radio goes off, all the inner lights dim and the a/c & heating unit fails. I moved to the slow lane and planned to get off at the exit near a friends house so in case the car wouldn't start back up when it died I would be close for a rescue. I only made it to the exit before the one I'd wanted. I called Jordan and he came to get me. [I was closer to SLC than home. Ugh.] Jord thought that my alternator had probably kicked and was something he could fix, but not on the side of the road in the middle of the night and I was still miles from our friends house, so getting a tow would have been very pricey! We called our friends, Ryan and Amber to assist in the rescue!! Ryan borrowed his brothers truck and tied my car up behind his, Jordan steered the broken car as Ryan drove him to Jordans office [the closest place] while Amber and I followed behind in Jordan's car.
The rope broke once and thankfully we were at a stop light so the boys just had to jerry-rig it up again and we got safely to Jord's office and back on the road home before midnight! Yay!

Jordan was able to fix my car on Saturday-- it was the alternator, just as he suspected.

Sometimes bad things happen because they just have to [and because you ignore signs your car previously gave you.] And sometimes things happen to help us-- see, just before I left work that night, my mom had been texting me and asked me to call her after work. My phone had been dying and in the red for about the last hour of work, but I hadn't had a chance to charge it in my office. Since my mom wanted to talk, I decided to charge my phone even for 10 minutes even though I was ready to lock the doors and head home already. Had I not taken even 10 minutes to charge, my phone would have had only 10 or so minutes of battery left; just enough to talk to my mom, but not enough to call for my rescue!! I almost ignored the prompting to charge my phone because I knew it would last long enough for a quick conversation and I wouldn't need it after that, but good thing I did!

I am very grateful to have a husband who is so knowledgeable and able to fix things with his own hands. He saved us a lot of money! I'm grateful for good friends who will come to my rescue in their pajamas in the very late and very cold evening! I am most especially grateful that it was an easy/cheap fix for the car, as I need this old hunker to live at least til the baby comes. We already have our money arranged for hopefully purchasing a house and welcoming Baby, so any unforseen expenses are not welcome!! And I am grateful to the young man who pulled over only a few minutes after I'd been stranded and offered help! Even though help was already on the way, I guess God had already created a back up plan in case I had been negligent to charge my phone. HE must know how dumb and in a hurry I can be sometimes!

No comments: