November 21, 2012

Mike Tyson-- Costa Rica Part III

ZIPLINING!! 

It rained the day we went ziplining. It seemed like it just rained without any notice every single day in this foresty area. People would be out walking to their jobs or school and it would just start pouring on them. I guess the locals are used to it, but I hate that stinky, sticky wet feeling and could not deal with that as my everyday life. I suppose if that's all you've ever known you just become used to it.

Our ziplining guides were way cool, most of them [and most everybody everywhere we went] spoke English. Jordan and I had been practicing our Spanish before the trip and I really think it helped us. There was one older couple on the same hotels circuit as we were and they were total Americans. Really nice older couple, but they just did not make any attempts to assimilate[and they said they had lived in Mexico for a season before.] We saw some other "Ugly Americans" on our trip, just totally being nasty and speaking LOUDER and SLOWER English, as though that helps people understand a language, right?

I think the locals appreciated us because we at least made an effort and they could see [/hear] that. Our ziplining guides sure seemed to like us for it... or it might have been the fact that I was wearing white shorts and a tank top in the rain! In my defense, I didn't know it was going to rain and my shorts quickly became see through. I was wearing my bathing suit underneath it all anyway, so what's the difference. We're in Costa Rica-- La Pura Vida, mis amigos!! 


 Even with the rain we were still able to see the beauty below and around us. I was afraid of losing my contacts once when the rain was coming down really fast on my face, so I had to close my eyes for a minute and just hope I could hear the guides signaling me when to stop. Generally stopping and going was really easily controlled, even an 11 year old on our tour did it! I would love to do this again somewhere only much much higher. Like over a really big canyon or something. 

Our guides were great and asked us if we wanted to do the "Superman"
and of course we were down for anything!


One guy on our tour asked why we got to do it an he didn't, he said he's even a local... hmmm... think my clear pants helped any? Jordan thinks they did! But I think our great attitudes, even in the rain, and adventurous spirits mixed well with our guides. The one who only spoke Spanish asked if I was cold and I just said, "La Pura Vida, si amigo? Solo vivo un tiempo!" so I think they liked us! Jordan was making great conversation too.. Overall his Spanish was even better than mine, he is more patient to listen slowly and understand. I just like talking! [Can you tell!?]

**********************************
Our ziplining tour was a part of a hot springs hotel and included a day pass for all outside hotel amenities. We stuck around all day for the aquariums and terrariums.


Thankfully it had stopped raining so we changed into some dry clothes 
to check out the insects and amphibains. 




 This was just the baby.
"Mike Tyson" was about 9 feet long and was located with two other large crocs in a larger habitat caged only by chain link fence. I don't mean chain link fence on the other side of a 6 foot dug out trench like in American zoos, I mean we were just as close to "Mike" as we are now to this baby croc but the chain fence went up 8 or 9 feet. No barbed wire at the top-- I guess if you're dumb enough to climb the fence or stick your hand in it, Costa Rica is gonna let you! I like it... much more accountability on the individuals. Just don't do anything dumb and the chain link fence is all the protection you need.


After our visit with the creepy crawlies and crocodiles we went for a swim in the hot springs tub. It was amazing! They'd built a pool to gather the springs and they even had a HOT water slide! The hotel also had 2 other water slides for the cold pools. Jordan and I stuck to the warm slide though. We got daiquiris at the swim up bar. 

Stick around for more... Only two more episodes, I promise!!

No comments: