November 21, 2012

Close to Heaven-- Costa Rica Part IV


Our view from the Flamingo Beach Resort

The second hotel we stayed at was so swanky that while Jordan was inside checking us in, an attendant brought out a frozen fruit daiquiri to my car as I chilled in the air conditioning! Curb side service-- what a treat! 



What a LUSH! 

We could hear the waves from our room! 

 So we went for a late afternoon stroll on the beach.
The water was unbelievably warm! 

But not very clear. 
So I didn't go out too deep because I'm afraid of underwater creatures! 


We watched the sun set on the beach, maybe our first time together! 

Later that night we ventured into town and had dinner at this sushi shoppe, Temptation Sushi. The internet reviews raved about this place; a local gal runs the place and works it all by herself during the slower season. It was a really quaint place, but the sushi was so bland. She did not have any culinary creativity in the rolls at all. No taste. I joked with Jordan that with my luck this would be the last sushi I would get for at least 9 months [since we were trying for Baby]... little did I know, I was unfortunately correct!! Ugh. 

************************************
The next morning we went horseback riding through the foliage
 and ended at the beach.
Bernardo

Esotto 

After about 45 minutes we took a "water break," which I thought was for the horses, since we had been able to easily drink, ride and take pictures at the same time, the guide said it was a water break for us, not the horses. Our whole trip was about 2 1/2 hours and we didn't stop for the horses to drink or rest at all. I was really shocked at the treatment of these wonderful animals. I mean, I know they are very big and strong and were ridden across rough terrian back in the day with few stops for water or breaks, but I certainly wouldn't be a very happy animal, carrying 130 pounds of extra weight under the hot, hot sun without a drink for 2 1/2 hours! 

A regular John Wayne! 

I was a little scared! 
My horse was an old horse. A tired horse. And he stumbled to his knees twice, shifting me higher on his back right on top of his shoulders. At one point I was practically riding on his neck! I asked the handler if we should stop and adjust, but he said the horse was fine. I guess they've got a schedule to meet, ya know. So silly! 
Our hotel endorsed this horseback riding company, so we didn't check reviews. I was quite disappointed with the treatment of the animals, so I would suggest you find some good internet reviews if you ever go riding. 




Horseback riding seems like it would be easy and calming. But all that galloping is rough on the body. My inner legs were burning and my thigh muscles were sore the rest of the day! 

We were so exhausted from riding that we just lounged around 
the hotel pool for the rest of the evening.

Of course our hotel wouldn't be complete without it's own random lizards roaming the grounds. I wonder if anyone's ever been bitten?  
Think: Hawaiin gecko infestation but worse. 
Luckily all the lizards stayed outside our room! 

 Ultimate Lounging! 

Mr. Grumpy Bottoms was not enjoying the hammocks! 
The ends were hung too close together, so it was hard to find an angle 
where the hammock wasn't just sandwiching you. 


 If you've made it this far you'd might as well continue... 
one more post to close our summer getaway!

No comments: